Friday, January 23, 2009

SSRJ#1 The Story of an Hour, by Kate Chopin (Don Wallin)

I laughed at the end of the story by Kate Chopin, not at the irony of the husband coming home alive and therefore causing the heart attack of Mrs. Mallard, but that it kind of seemed predictable. I found it predictable by two clues: first the title, The Story of an Hour, obviously tells the reader that this is a snapshot of time, especially when looking at someones life. Secondly, the details that are given about Chopin being in the room alone are a setup to the only ending the story could have: "the tops of trees were all aquiver with the new spring life", and "There were patches of blue sky showing here and there...Chopin wants us to understand that this lady finally feels alive, possibly for the first time in her life, and of course feels, "free, free, free", now that she is a widow. The story is kind of a joke, one that has a much larger setup in the beginning to get you to the punchline in the end, which is Mrs. Mallard dying on the stairs upon seeing her repressor arrive home alive. The second part of the joke being that everyone assumes she died of, "the joy that kills". The story could not end any other way than with a satirical irony.


Overall, I liked the reading. I enjoy irony especially when set in a historical setting, although we really do not know what year this takes place in, it would seem to be set in the late 1800's privledged society.


To my fellow critical thinkers: What if we had been give detail from Mr. Mallard's side? Details of his ride home on the train, possibly dreading arrival home to Mrs. Mallrd, maybe he feels just as trapped in their victorian society or marriage as Mrs. Mallard? Or what if the story had gone on and now we hear his thoughts and relief that his wife has passed on and he is "free, free, free", while everyone attempts to console him?

5 comments:

  1. I think that you make a good point. What was Mr. Mallards thoughts on the marriage? By the author not telling us his side of the story it leads me to believe that he was happy in the marriage. I think they if they were both unhappy that the story would have been different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your comments.

    I too did wonder if Mr. Mallard was happy with his marriage to Mrs. Mallard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I to think that viewing the story from Mr. Mallard’s side would give the story a little more interest , and bring new feelings into the story not only just only from Mrs. Mallard’s side. But do you think that Kate Chopin only gave one point of view to make a point, possibly about the oppression women felt in the 1800’s? And as a male did you find yourself feeling more sympathy for Mr. Mallard having such a callous wife?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's interesting that you brought up Mrs. Mallard's husband. I guess it's impossible to say whether or not Mr. Mallard was unhappy with his wife, but it would not be hard to believe any side of the argument. What do you think Mr. Mallard's reaction would have been had his wife died before him? Guilt? Remorse? Happiness?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that the story being as short as it is has a lot of “missing” sections that we as readers fill in with our own interpretations of the situation presented to us. It would be interesting to see if the story played out the same way from the other person’s point of view. I agree with you that the ending really made the story and the final irony really was a surprise.

    ReplyDelete